Friday, April 23, 2010

Raggedy Ann and Andy

Oh how Muna loved her dolls. She kept many of the dolls from her childhood, some of which I now have. She also made dolls and tons of doll clothes so when my mother and her sister were little girls they had quite the collection of well dressed girls. My mother had many stories of fancy tea parties with her dolls and when I was a little girl she and my grandmother would set them up for me and my dolls, too.
I think my grandmother's favorite dolls were Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. She owned many of the old story books which were and still are among my favorite children's stories. They were so much fun and so imaginative that I spent hours arranging my own dolls and toys so they could join Ann and Andy on their nightly adventures. I tried desperately to stay awake to catch them all coming to life like they did each night in the stories but I never quite made it.

Over the years Muna made many little Raggedy Ann's and Andy's and I still have the ones she made for my daughters. This one dates back quite a bit and if memory serves correctly it was actually made by my great grandmother. I say this because it doesn't have the little heart that my grandmother always carefully embroidered on their chests. My great grandmother didn't always put the hearts in on hers.

In any case, these will remain in my own collection but I thought you might like to see them. Do you have any toys or dolls that were special from your grandparents?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment ;-)