Saturday, June 26, 2010

Memories in a handkerchief....

Did your grandmother have a huge collection of handkerchiefs? Mine did. She had them in all her pockets whether it was the apron she put on when she came home from work, her bathrobe or her house dress. She had plain ones for home and fancy ones for going out on the town or to church.She bought handkerchiefs as souvenirs of places she had visited. She didn't really travel much so some of her souvenir hankies are sort of funny....like from the next town over. She was always buying sets of hankies for my mother and for us kids. I don't think my mother ever used hers but she made us carry ours in our little patent leather pocketbooks. My mother much preferred the modern throw away tissues....but she thought we needed to learn how to be little ladies so we got the handkerchief treatment.
Does anyone use hankies any more? I occasionally see old men with them but I have to admit, thinking about what goes into one is enough to make one understand how the throw away version came about....;-)
Will hankies make a come back as we begin to think in greener terms? If you're looking for some fun ones to start your own collection, I have some listed here.

1 comment:

  1. It's really wild going thru other people personal life's stuff. We have been doing that this year too. With My Honey's mothers and sister things. Some amazing and some ????, but we wonder what we threw out too in the rush to get it all moved and semi sorted.
    peace n abundance,
    CheyAnne
    http://cheyannesexton.etsy.com
    http://newmexicomtngirl.etsy.com
    the second one is where I am starting to add things from the estate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment ;-)