Monday, May 3, 2010

Garden Memory Walks

Are there certain flowers or gardens that take you back in time? I always think of my grandmother when I see apple blossoms. I remember being with her in the backyard and watching the petals of the apple blossoms fall like pink rain upon the ground. She used to pick them up and toss them back in the air and giggle like a girl as they fell back around her head.When I was quite young my mother discovered a church garden that was full of daffodils each year and every spring she and my grandmother would go to the fancy daffodil tea that the church held in the garden. I walk there every spring in their memory though the garden is not what it once was.
Both my mother and grandmother loved narcissus flowers as well and always had them in their gardens so I do too. I like to put them in the various pewter vases they collected each spring as well.
Our daffodils are beginning to fade as are the apple blossoms....
but one of my very favorite flowers is just about to bust out all over....but more on that later! Do you and your family have a favorite garden to visit?

9 comments:

  1. There were two huge azalea bushes in front of my childhood home in Louisiana. Beautiful deep pink flowers. For Easter (in my mind it was every year, but could have been just once!) my mother saved blown out egg shells and we dyed them and put them on the bush. Our next door neighbor got the newspaper to take photos with me in front of our Easter Egg Tree -- I was not a happy camper because Mama made me wear my Easter hat (really not much more than a headband). So there I was in the picture with my Easter dress spread out around me, the hat, holding my little purse, gloves on, and not much of a smile! I was probably around 6 or 7. I still have that newspaper clipping.

    Boy, your blog is really taking me down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh....I miss my old house ! We had alot of old fashioned flower goodness planted by the original owner. Lilacs, lilly of the valley, hydangeas, flowering crabapple and every year I planted morning glories ! In spring the smell of the lilacs would come right thru the house : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post! i can't really think far back to any specific gardens but i remember when i was at school that each spring the grounds would be teeming with cherry blossom flowers in so many colors! when i was very small i used to pretend with my friends that it was snow! must be why cherry blossoms are my favourite flowers now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers are so beautiful. :D Unfortunately my mother and I never had a special spot besides drinking coffee on Sunday mornings in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes there are certain things all the time that give me de ja vu as well. they make me think of a time and place that i cant pinpoint. these gardens are inspiring me to plant some flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful picks! I love creating and working in my own garden. Nothing better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo...I love those flowers. Very pretty. We have The Rose Gardens here. Haven't visited them yet but plan to this summer after allergy season is over with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to a public garden in a really long time sadly... no time to smell the flowers anymore..

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your comments, everyone. I appreciate you all stopping by my blog. funny how flowers and gardens trigger such memories...;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment ;-)